+44 (0) 20 7580 5861 qualifications@arb.org.uk

Part 1 & Part 2 Students

Choosing a Part 2 course

If you have recently completed or are about to complete your Part 1 course and are thinking about where to take your Part 2, in addition to all the other considerations, it is important that you choose a qualification that is recognised by ARB. ARB only prescribes, or recognises, qualifications in UK institutions, and those recognised or validated by other bodies will not be acceptable for registration unless they are also prescribed by ARB.

Because ARB does not directly recognise qualifications from outside the UK for registration purposes, if you wish to continue your studies outside the EEA, and you intend to register in the UK, you will need to take the ARB Prescribed Examination at Part 2.

This is the means by which ARB assesses whether you have the same level of skills and knowledge as someone who has taken a UK prescribed Part 2 qualification.

To be eligible to take the Prescribed Examination at this level you must hold a non-prescribed qualification in architecture at second degree or diploma level which was awarded following at least two years of full-time study or the part-time equivalent, and which was taken after being awarded a qualification in architecture at rst degree level.

There is provision under European Legislation for the mutual recognition of qualifications within the EEA which applies to qualifications listed in Directive 2005/36/EC. If you are thinking of studying in another European state, please contact us for more information.

Choosing a Part 3 course

The structure and assessment methods for qualifications at Part 3 level vary from institution to institution. Some are offered as an MA or MSc, others are shorter update courses. All prescribed qualifications at Part 3 level meet the ARB Criteria so it is a matter of personal choice taking into account location, attendance and assessment methods.

The RIBA has published a useful summary which will help you to compare assessment, costs and format.

Support from employers also varies and the RIBA has published guidance for both employers and students.