+44 (0) 20 7580 5861 qualifications@arb.org.uk

Practical Training Experience

In addition to your academic qualifications you will also need to complete a minimum of 24 months’ practical experience supervised by a registered architect or other qualified professional working in the construction industry as defined in the Rule.

At least 12 of the 24 months should have been spent working in the EEA (including the UK), the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and it is recommended that a minimum of 12 months is undertaken in the UK. This is because the Part 3 qualification tests UK practice and law and it is likely that candidates with insufficient UK experience will find it difficult to meet the levels of skill and knowledge set out in the
Part 3 Criteria.

The experience must also be ‘recent’ which is defined in the Rule so that at least 12 of the 24 months must have been undertaken in the 24 months immediately before taking the Part 3 exam. While ARB has no rules about how you should record your experience, most institutions expect students to use the RIBA’s Professional Education and Development Record (PEDR) or in certain circumstances, the RIBA’s Certificate of Professional Practice.

Your professional studies adviser (PSA) will be able to advise you about recording your experience as well as its quality and relevance but if you need further guidance please contact us – info@arb.org.uk. You will need to satisfy the practical experience requirements before taking your Part 3 exam.